Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lunch at New World #2

Otak-otak in banana leaf - alright, no verbal raves.
Papa Chow ordered 2 plates of Nasi Lemak for himself and Taka. He can never let an opportunity for nasi lemak slip by, supposedly. Who could blame him. No verbal raves though.
Verbal raves all around for this curry mee. We all had a bowl each - beautiful stock, good proportions - we did without the pig's blood and extra cockles. Highly recommended. Mama Chow said that the two curry mee stalls at New World were equally good in their own way: the one we ate had a sweeter stock and the other (closed) was more aromatic, spice-oriented.
The damage: we did not finish the chai koay as it turns out. What did I say about oversized dumplings?
Ais Kacang with banana slices. This has been a firm favorite for a long time; seeing as it was one of the few things I could actually eat when I was fully vegetarian at Swatow Lane. I don't know if it was the change of location, the absence of longkang-side ambience with ratty parasols - but it wasn't quite the same. I think one of the issues of communal eating, which I am all for, is the lack of undivided attention given to a single dish/feature/thing. Because there is a multitude of distractions, flavours, you tend to be prompted by greed rather than concentration - I am referring to myself really. I think it is important to afford each dish the time to consider it on its own but chaos is really fun.

No comments: