Friday, February 8, 2008

Bee Hooi Cafe, Burmah Road, Pulau Tikus

Char Koay Teow stall at Bee Hooi Cafe. I startled them with my flash and didn't want to disrupt the serious fry-business any more. Hence the crap shot.

Char Koay Teow produced through serious fry-business. Mag really rated this - she enjoyed the moderate (as opposed to extreme) oiliness, fresh giant prawns, bean sprout-egg-noodle ratio.
Hokkien Mee: Mag & Taka's order. Most persistent comment was its small-ish size.
Pie Tee: stewed shredded turnip, carrot in crunchy deep fried casing topped with chilli sauce and deep fried shallots. A firm favourite.
O Chien - Oyster omelette. This was pretty expert, I thought. It seems simple and fool-proof enough but I've eaten many bad versions of this. Apparently the stall-owner used to be a chef in Germany. I wonder if he fantasized about owning an o chien stall constantly while cooking sauerkraut and I wonder if cooking sauerkraut helped him perfect his O chien. I hope he is happy at Bee Hooi, he certainly makes me happy.

No comments: