Thursday, May 22, 2008

Potato and Leek Soup


Now I know it look like stodge. There is no disguising stodge. Stodge is stodge. However, this was rather fine stodge - my cooking in general leaves very much unimpressed and uninspired. For some reason, I was seized with the compulsion to make potato and leek soup, and to make it well. But y'know, you really can't go too far wrong with this much butter and cream. I mean, come on...

Glorify Stodge!

I derived the recipe mainly from the BBC recipe but took pointers from the second link which definitely elevated the soup beyond ordinary stodge, ie bake potatoes beforehand, with skins and all. I pureed 3/4 of the soup and left the rest, it was a good balance texture-wise. This is probably undeserving of an entire post, but well, I don't think I will make something this good again.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1731/darina-allens-winter-leek-and-potato-soup
http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/2008/03/lengthy-process-but-worth-it.html

1 comment:

minchow said...

That actually doesn't look half bad, even if the idea of leek, butter and cream sends chills down my spine. Was it a huge vat? Did you over-leek yourself?