Tuesday, June 30, 2009

No surprises please, we're old, Alexis, The Gardens

Niz had just turned the grand old age of... say, somewhere in the early-30s vicinity. The older we get, the less receptive we are to surprises, so it was decided we would congregate somewhere fuss-free, with a tried-and-tested menu where everyone knew what they would get, at Alexis at the Gardens.

Can't go wrong with Alexis' pizzas... particularly enjoy the Gambretto with rocket! This time however, I watched the others order. That evening, I was on...a liquid diet of some sort. First up... the Pizza Pollo. Meal owner was kind and spared me a slice, and even when cold, it was yummy and made me secretly hanker for more!



Others had the equally dependable Sarawak Laksa, swimming in rich, coconutty gravy. What a mega portion!


Beef Noodles arrived lukewarm. Fiz tsk-tsk'ed and sent it back to be heated thoroughly. We like our soup scalding hot, thank you very much!


Club sandwich - Cheese, chicken, avocado, beef bacon, egg and the usual garnishing. But why oh why the shoestring fries? Shoestrings spell to me skint, ungenerous, emaciated, McDs! I like mine fat and substantial!

Baby spinach and chickpea salad - a very nice filling salad, I picked off all the olives! Ish nicsh with wine

The classically bashful, but bitingly bitchy birthday boy

The sweet-toothed cried in unison at the end of the meal, so away they went. No introductions or elaboration necessary here, so I'll just post these up and siesta...
Pavlova


Tiramisu
Nuff said! :-) Hope it was a happy one Niz!

20 comments:

Sugar Bean said...

I've only tried their tiramisu in Alexis, went there just for the dessert, and it was fantastic, one of the best I've tasted. Will definitely revisit for more desserts and main course.

Babe_KL said...

we loved the tiramisu here yums

worldwindows said...

Simple meal for a birthday? I am really not into cakes except for carrot cake and brownies, but the Pavlova is worth a try.

ai wei said...

been there once for main course n desserts. find their main course so-so but i heart the tiramisu.
will revisit for desserts! have to find 'kaki' first >__<

Sean said...

liquid diet is euphemism for cocktail diet, right? or did u really go to alexis on an intravenous drip? :D
bah, the birthday boy is probably only a year younger than me, but i look 5 years older. curse my genes!

Little Inbox said...

LOL, early 30's considered old already? Hehehe...

boo_licious said...

I just ate at the BSC one last Sat - an alternative to delicious since we were so late for lunch. Poached chicken rice and pecan cheesecake were good tummy fillers.

Bangsar-bAbE said...

I usually go for the 4 cheese pizza. Guess it's time I tried this! ;) Lukewarm soup?? How can?? I want it hot hot hot!

Rebecca Saw said...

ohhh..the tiramisu alws been gd ;) and yes the 4cheese pizz too!
at least this is one plc we knw keeps their std in food/cakes yes?

minchow said...

Sugar Bean, I think quite safe to stick to the desserts... and maybe pizza!

Babe KL, definitely a must-order at any Alexis!

Worldwindows, yeah we're a subdued lot of eaters! Had too much to drink!

Ai Wei, what main course did you have? I didn't like the duck or the cod very much myself.

Sean, yes he is blessed with a juvenile demeanour... to go with his behaviour! You would command respect with the appearance of age!

Little Inbox, absolutely not!! I simply refuse to accept the word OLD! 30s is the ultimate decade to live, no!?

Boo, poached chicken rice! I don't think I've been in company who ordered that.. so it held its own did it?

Bangsar Babe, exactly! I just don't get cold soup, not even the types that's supposed to be cold, like gazpacho!

The Nomad Gourmand, dependable to a T! But perhaps time for them to mix their menu up a bit? It's been like this for the longest time!

allie said...

The tiramisu looks so tempting! I can't resist it!

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

It's been awhile since I ate here. I used to eat the sarawak laksa here all the time (in the 90s lah). Now, I go to alexis just for the cakes. Still damn good (but fbb's versions of the pav and tiramisu are better, if I may say so!).

J2Kfm said...

they got their tiramisu from Su Chan, do they not?

still rmbr that bad exp at that same outlet. when they stopped me from snapping a pic with my hp.

Unknown said...

ah the pizza looks delicious. As I prefer thin crusts pizza. ^-^

backStreetGluttons said...

We are sure Old Man Niz , having come so far will continue to enjoy his food & drink for years to come, as long as he got fresh young you & some who will , of course impart & share with ageing him annually the finest collection of colorful offerings in da land , even if occasionally ( to be expected ) they come in as cold as Alexis

minchow said...

Allie, then DON'T resist! It's that simple! :-D

LL, 90s! Wow! I don't think I knew of Alexis' existence then! Yeah but FBB got no retail... a bit susah, no instant gratification! :-P

J2Kfm, they didn't let you photograph?? Wait, were you using some huge SLR? Those can be very intimidating for paranoid restaurant management.

Food Paradise, thin crust all the way! I don't know of anyone who actually likes the thick doughy crust anymore... Pizza Hut's still making them?

BSG, that's the best birthday wish he's gotten to date I bet!

Steven Goh said...

Wah u said like that I can be classified as Sinor citizen dee. Sign. Btw, this is very sensitive statement leh. Not much place got sell Sarawak Laksa, especially in Penang I never see one before, after came back from Kuching. Bring me to there to makan next time I go see you ok?

Ciki said...

but d bday boy doesnt LOOK bitchy wor.. ;P

minchow said...

Steven, quite a few good haunts for Sarawak Laksa here... can do a laksa tour when you're here! :-P But I wouldn't know if they're on par with the authentic Sarawak ones because I haven't been (shame shame!)

Ciki, he looks like a momma's boy but when his mouth goes off in closed circles, there's no putting a lid on it!

Selba said...

I'm so for the pizza! :)