Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Hometowning in Penang

It is reassuring to know that even in dubious times of the changeover in country leadership (same same but different) and the suspicious nouveau yet dodgy stance of the Opposition state government (ROAR, anyone?), some things remain the same in Penang.

The food still tastes amazing, at home or on the streets...

My very lovely Mom's cooking prowess' victorious attack on air-flown Alfonsino, which has the best name for a fish, hands down. She spiced up this already gorgeous deep-water fish by lightly frying it and serving it with a turmeric, chilli & bean paste sauce. Served at home. I think Alfonsino's a much underrated name, don't you?

Penang Hokkien mee classique with a twist - with tender slices of pork leg! Served at corner of Carnavon St & Jalan Cheong Fatt Tze (also known as Hong Kong St. by locals). RM3.50 for a slice of crustacean heaven. Tell me the country (and state) is in perfect government condition and I might even believe ya!

Apom, interior. 2 and a half kernels of corn and banana slices go a long, long way. Served at Ah Guan Apom stall, Burmah Road.

Fish meat beehoon, for the patient citizen, willing to endure a 50-minute (or 50 years?) for a good thing. I learned about this first from this very sexy post at Allie Food Talk.

The fish, glorious glorious deep fried pieces of siakap that melts in your mouth. Dunk in soup, then crunch, then swallow. RM7 per bowl, served at food court opposite Red Rock Hotel, on Macalister Road.

And the drink to numb the senses of you pesky, questioning, demanding, argumentative and critical folks...

Left: Seifried's Gewurztraminer, which traversed oceans from the wine-producing region of Nelson, NZ to the confused shores of Penang, impressing even sticky tastebuds of baby Ollie. Served at home.

Right: Local pints, easy on MS' tastebuds and her fiery defence of the local government. Served at Soho's, Penang Road.

I can only hope that the real charm of Penang holds out against the sordid changes that have been, or are about to be subjected to this little island I still like to call home.

18 comments:

Big Boys Oven said...

Looks you had a great makan2 time in penang, i truely agree with you the wonders of Penang food, pure amazing!

Sean said...

i studied in penang at the usm campus for three years, and some of my fondest memories include hanging out over endless suppers of nasi kandar, char kuey teow, duck leg noodles ... :D

Life for Beginners said...

I think Alfonsino would be a great name for a kid... except he'd prolly get teased endlessly also. :P

Maybe Alfonsina for a girl? Hehe.

Little Inbox said...

Balik kampung and savoring the yummy food at one trip. Why not?

ck lam said...

This little island sure has plenty to offer.

-j- said...

penang food should be listed as one of the wonders of the world!!!

allie said...

sexy post? Haha...
You have a great food marathon huh? hehe...

worldwindows said...

Spicy Hokkien Mee is always good to have tender pieces of pork leg. Just keep the shots coming. It will hasten my trip back to Penang. Reminds me of my favourite spicy noodles from central Vietnam called Bon Bo Hue Gio Heo actually have pork leg, the tender and the tendons, yum.

J2Kfm said...

i LOVE Pg food! :)
be it street food, hawkerfare, Nasi Kandar, Roti Canai, or even restaurant ones.

minchow said...

BBO, as per usual, Penang food did not disappoint this visit!

Sean, ooh so you're USM alum? I always loved the look of the campus... they just don't build unis that way anymore!

LFB, isn't it just!? Alfonsino... so many possible abbrieviations... Alfie, Fonzie, Nono, Fonsino...

Little Inbox, always end up overeating during a weekend in Penang. Clothes always a little tighter come Monday!

CK Lam, it's got too much to offer! Can never get enough of it in one brief weekend!

Duckie, I believe it has been?! #2 on NY Times, wasn't it?

Allie, the pics in your post totally had me hankering for the fish meat beehoon. I have to say though, yours looked better than mine, especially after my 50 minute wait!

WW, it's so awfully painful to look at the Penang Hokkien mee pics right now. Would you happen to know where I could get an interim fix here in KL?

J2Kfm, me too! I go through cyclical phases where my ultimate Pg favourites change - right now it's Hokkien mee!

Ciki said...

Penang Hokkien mee classique with a twist - with tender slices of pork leg... tell me more, tell me more! music to mah ears :P:P

HairyBerry said...

it's always good to do some hometowning once in a while...just to savour some forgotten tastes. yummy looking fish there.

hey, where's the char kway teow? hehe

Bangsar-bAbE said...

OMG...hokkien mee with pork leg? I must try this!! I'm salivating just by looking at it!

Anonymous said...

zzz...I'm starting to miss Penang food.

sakaigirl said...

My Penangite friend always says that Penang food is the Beest! Yep, indeed i fall for it^^

Steven Goh said...

Your mum really can cook lah. The Alfonsino looks great. Do we have the honor to ur house as VIP guests and ask her to cook for us and we will give her good review in our post :)

minchow said...

Ciki, tender pork leg that dunked in prawn broth, what more can I say? Let your imagination run wild! ;-P

Nic, CKT devotion has taken a hiatus in favour of Hokkien Mee. But it won't be long before I run screaming for it...

Bangsar Babe, me too! It really is a stunning bowl of wonder!

Foodees & Sakaigirl, thank you both for dropping by! I'm hoping you're not too far away from the island then?

Steven, sure, sure, welcome one, welcome all! :-)

backStreetGluttons said...

Penang being the only Chinese majority state in Malaysia shud be able to retain its unhalal status for sometime !

Dun worry your dear Mama will make sure of that !