Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Other Lorong Selamat (which does not involve CKT!)

While many have professed love for Lorong Selamat on account of its superstar Char Koay Teow resident, I remain firmly unconvinced of its merit and prefer to get my CKT fix elsewhere. However, there may be merit to this road's epicurean fame, beyond just that smug, goggled persona. On a recent trip, we stumbled upon not one but two noteworthy local bowls of finesse.

One was a hearty bowl of Fish Head noodles from Kedai Kopi Baru which sits isolated from the congregation of the food stalls on the Burma Road end.

A rather decent attempt at the less popular non-sour/milky variant of fish head noodles. Without the standard Chinese wine and preserved vegetables, it worked on the strength of fish stock alone and was overall a more subtle offering. Fish slices were so-so. Not mind-blowing but definitely commendable.

The next morning, we went back to Lorong Selamat, to the other end this time (Macalister Road end) to check out a shop we had passed by several times before, called T&T Prawn Mee Shop.
Ooh isn't that red car a gorgeous little machine?

We found out that it's actually the offspring of the old and beloved stall on Hong Kong Street, one that I had missed desperately so I was game to see if the younger generation made the cut. Choice toppings on offer included fish and meatballs, fresh prawns, spare ribs, pork knuckle and intestines.

My Prawn Mee with velvety, fall-of-the-bone spare ribs. Superb!! Obviously they'd stuck very close to the aged-old but not yet over-the-hill stock recipe. Drank it like beer at happy hour!

Fat Tulip's glorious mess of porcine love, starring a hefty pork knuckle and pork intestines. A beaut!

T&T also has Hokkien/Prawn mee steamboat with the delicious prawn stock, great for upcoming CNY season when your relatives gather to insinuate and interrogate. This stock could be the start of a different world for me altogether, one in which I don't abhor the concept of steamboat in what is arguably the hottest, stickiest month of the year.

Kedai Kopi Baru
6A Lorong Selamat
10400 Penang
Tel: 016-427 3717

T&T Prawn Mee Shop
127, Lorong Selamat
10400 Penang
Tel: 04-2263407/ 016 414 3369

12 comments:

Little Inbox said...

I must go there to try the T&T prawn noodles. It looks good!

Rebecca Saw said...

Oh my! Thts my kind of hokkien mee!
Intestine, pork ribs & all that..gimmmmmeee!!

New Kid on the Blog said...

I went there once... the hokkien mee not too bad.

ck lam said...

I had the hokkien mee with 'rice'. Yup, everything of the hokkien mee accept that it does not have noodles but with rice soaking in the soup.

Ciki said...

im just like you when it comes to prawn me. I'm no purist. I like mine with tons of pork ribs and intestine! mwuahaha

qwazymonkey said...

I've learnt that a good Penang Hokkien Mee (Mee Yoke in KL terms) must be made with just as much pork as there is prawns! The more one puts the better.

I miss penang food now.

Apple Foodees said...

Intestines. I'll just stick to the plain hokkien mee. lol.

Selba said...

Hi there, thanks for dropping by my blog :)

Yummm... the prawn mee looks so delicious!

Big Boys Oven said...

wah this in nice and looks delicious!

minchow said...

Little Inbox, very tasty stuff! If you try the prawn mee steamboat, let me know how it goes!

TNG, haha let the pork fumes take over!

NKOTB, not bad yah? Equally good as the old uncle's on HK Street!

CK Lam, wow a must-try! Rice soaked in prawn broth... can't go wrong!

Ciki, yep, the pork equally important as the prawn, even if it IS prawn mee!

minchow said...

Qwazymonkey, I am on a hunt for good mee yoke in KL! Cannot wait until my next trip back to get my fix!

Apple Foodees, ahhhh you're a purist I see! Intestines don't exactly rock my world either but I gotta pile on them spare ribs!

Selba, lunchtime now! I have a craving for it now!

BBO, yalah... I had a yucky version over the weekend in Pudu, so disappointing! Need to redeem with a good bowl now!

Kenny Mah said...

Oooh, the fish noodles look good... good enough that I'd try them even if it were "Lorong Kurang Selamat"... :P

(Sorry, I am allowed one lame pun per day, aren't I? Tee hee.)