Thursday, May 22, 2008

Oriental Seafood, Gurney Drive, Penang

Oriental Seafood overlooking the marshy swampland that is Gurney Drive has always been synonymous with overpriced seafood and tourist trapping so I was surprised when my friend suggested lunch on a sleepy Wednesday afternoon there.
Curious to see how it's come along since the family last paid a visit years and years ago, I got there, parked my car with a slight hint of trepidation as two tour buses deposited a large group of tourists in front of me.
The lunch menu for regular non-tourist folk was a simple one laminated pager, mostly noodles and unassuming dishes like oyster omelette and fried chicken to share.

We started off with the Or Chien (Oyster Omelette). We liked that it was done differently than the usual local version, sans rice flour and tapioca starch. It was fluffier and felt somewhat lighter, although I am sure it was still executed with a ton of oil.
I got the Char Hor Fun, which came steaming in a small claypot. The portion was extremely generous for the price of RM4.50 and could've easily fed two. It was very tasty and very filling, and my afternoon nosedived into sluggish torpor after this, despite having to waste a good portion of it.
Mei Shean ordered the beehoon in spicy and sour soup, kinda like what was served up at Wang Zhao Jun. Again, this was a massive serving for one.


I spied some other tables with the tomyam which looked yummy, as well as the fondly-remembered fried rice. I shall have to return for those some time. Good place for a relatively cheap, quick local noodle fix in air-conditioning, if you don't mind the hordes of tourists and the grouchy aunties serving.

4 comments:

New Kid on the Blog said...

i never know they serve lunch... thought only serve dinner... in fact, have never been to this place... i only know this place is famous for 'cutting throat'

CK Lam said...

never knew that this place serve this type of noodles... it sure comes in a big serving for that price... another place for lunch!!

Anonymous said...

what a disappointment when I took my family for a dinner during the 1st day of CNY. The food is LOUSY.

Anonymous said...

the restaurant call Oriental Gurney restaurant? how's the enviroment?