Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Missing Moustache went unmissed, Hai Keng, Section 14

The Saturday Mission: Some fiscal damage at Digital Mall Section 14, but before that, to fill the gut, we sauntered over to nearby Hai Keng Coffee Shop.



Zoomed in on the bright cheery sight of the signboard bearing Fushou Lou Nyonya Seafood Curry Mee. The guy operating the stall was to our utter dismay, devoid of a fushou (moustache). But then we eyed the peace offerings in the form of additional optional toppings for your bowl of noodles like stingray, clams, long beans, cuttlefish and we were appeased.


His Neptunian version came with a hefty piece of stingray, cuttlefish and clams. He pronounced the curry opulent and joyfully liberating... kinda like the sea!

Mine was a more subdued but equally sumptuous affair of poultry and cuttlefish. I loved that they had the option of lai fun or laksa noodles because frankly, I don't give two shrimps for the other sort of noodles. The gravy was thick and had a distinct sourish taste - attributed to lashings of lime, perhaps?

My hot geek friend's intense enjoyment of his bowl of noodles said it all. Yes, he's available, girls! He likes his curry hot and thick, his t-shirts bright and cheerful and his eyewear oversized vintage. He is also a huge proponent of facial hair (on men only... I THINK!) but thankfully, did not find fault with Fushou Lou for the misleading moustachioed appellation.

Both bowls came up to a very decent RM12. Thanks for the treat, Toto!

Fushou Lou Nyonya Curry Laksa
Hai Keng
Jalan 14/20, Section 14
Petaling Jaya

14 comments:

Sean said...

i think i'd prefer the neptunian version too! poultry and seafood just shouldn't try to commingle in the same broth :D
crossing my fingers that toto gets plenty of offers for curry mee outings from appreciative lasses with good taste, thanks to your very enticing personals ad description, heheh...

Bangsar-bAbE said...

I like mixing my seafood with poultry. Because I want the best of both worlds! ;P

Kenny Mah said...

Hot geek friend? You mean he's panas or he's "panas"? ;)

J said...

Mmmmm... Hot geeks r yummier than laksa. :P

Haha.. Hey, you r trying to pimp him out ah?

spacebaby said...

It look nice but why is it served with Laksa noodles? It is missing cockles and black pudding but looks yummy nevertheless.

yogahui said...

hey i was there just the other day but didn't see the stall till after i devoured the mediocre char koay teow. must give this a go the next time round.

toto's as cute as dorothy's best friend...and by the way, that's a compliment!

Rebecca Saw said...

Must bring Unka here! I'm liking the look of the broth!

Unknown said...

wow.... I want this bowl of curry mee. So many ingredients. Clams.... hmmm..... nice...

minchow said...

Sean, in hindsight I should've gone for the seafood one too but I have a distinct aversion to stingray. At the rate I'm pimping Toto, there'd be something seriously wrong if the curry mee offers aren't landing in droves!!

Bangsar Babe, you bet! The more variety in the bowl, the merrier!

LFB, I think I meant both hot as in his temperature and the temperature he induces in others! :-P

J, that is precisely the point of this exercise! Imma Pimp! He's too much of a sweetheart, I just cannot resist!

minchow said...

Spacebaby, you can choose either yellow noodles, hor fun, vermicelli or lai fun. Lai fun's my top pick out of those! Not a huge fan of black pudding so didn't miss those one bit!

Yogahui, I was told by a blogger friend that the Chee Cheong Fun there is good too! What a gem of a kopitiam!

TNG, yup the broth is divine! You have to be prepared for the assault of the sour upon the first sip though... unusual but I like!

Food Paradise, I love especially how you get to choose from an array of toppings. Kinda like that curry mee stall at Weld Quay in Pg! Another must-have!

UnkaLeong said...

Nice! I like. Never ceases to amaze me how they managed to convert that house into a restaurant ;)

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

yeah looks like he has to change his stall name..

but tat bowl of noodles looks like the bomb!

Ciki said...

He is also a huge proponent of facial hair (on men only... I THINK!)??!! hahahaha, i hope so, and not WOMEN!!


great post. i really want some curry mee now!

Steven Goh said...

seafood curry mee? never heard of that in Penang. How's the taste compare to the authentic penang curry mee?718946